There is inherent power in individuals standing up for what’s right and using their voice to create change. As the Magento Association Board of Directors, we know silence is not acceptable to fight system injustices. We must use our voices to affirm that we stand with the Black community, as well as all underrepresented people in the Magento ecosystem.
As a global community, we need an association that reflects the diversity of its members. Representation matters: as members, leaders, speakers and volunteers. We cannot become an effective or successful community until all voices, especially those often marginalized in our field, are not just included but amplified and celebrated.
Our first step forward is to recommit to growing the diversity of our community. The following action items include deadlines so that we as members of the Magento community can hold ourselves accountable to fulfill them. Our intent is for this work to be thoughtful and thorough, not simply quick actions to cross off a list, so our timelines reflect the importance of that process.
- Establish a diversity working group, task force or committee no later than Dec. 31, 2020.
- Map desired aspects of membership diversity and identify underrepresented groups no later than March 31, 2021.
- Identify membership liaisons across diverse populations and enable them to be ambassadors for the organization no later than June 30, 2021.
- Continuously encourage diversity across all volunteer roles, including in association leadership positions.
- Progress toward these goals will be shared in regular updates on Commerce Co-Op from the established task force.
Listening is embedded within each of these action items, and we cannot achieve them without direct input from the Magento ecosystem. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have thoughts or ideas on how we can achieve or expand upon these goals.
—The Magento Association Board of Directors